JewelryAbout.com/blog offers latest information about diamond jewelry, bracelets, fine art jewelry, pearls, handcrafted jewelry, bead & gemstone, charms.

Posts Tagged ‘Gemstones’

The Mysterious Of Diamonds

Wednesday, March 9th, 2011

The word, “diamond,” comes from the Greek and literally means “unbreakable,” an appropriate name for the hardest naturally occurring substance in the world. They were probably first mined in India anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 years ago. Today, they are mined all over the world: from Russia, South Africa, to North America and Australia. Improved technology and shaping methods have meant that diamonds are more valued than ever before; for wedding rings, earrings, pendants, and bracelets to suit every occasion.

World Famous Diamonds

* The Great Star of Africa is the largest cut diamond in the world at 530.2 carats. Is set into the Royal Scepter and part of the British Crown Jewels. The Star Africa Diamond weighs 106 grams.
* The Koh-I-Noor (“Mountain of Light”), at 105.6 carats, has a long and interesting history, steeped in legend. First mentioned in writing in 1304, it has passed from the hands of Mughal and Persian rulers to Queen Victoria during the Indian colonial era, and is now also part of the British Crown Jewels.
* The Excelsior was the second largest diamond to have been discovered at 970 carats befor being cut into 10 diamonds.
* The Regent is relatively small in comparison to other famous diamonds, weighing 140.50 carats, but is distinguished by its perfect cut and clarity.

Diamonds challenged status in many cultures when it comes to prestige, glamour, beauty and quality. They are seen as a long-term investment in some countries, but everywhere, their startling beauty expresses a distinctive sophistication. Only 20 per cent of diamonds are used for jewellery. The remaining 80 per cent are used for industrial purposes. Diamonds come in five natural colours: white, yellow, blue, pink and champagne, with white diamonds being the most common and often the most sought-after. The clearer the white diamond, the more valuable it is. Yellow diamonds range from pale yellow to a deep rich yellow. Blue diamonds are also popular, ranging from a pale sky blue to indigo. Champagne diamonds range from a light, almost bronze shade to deep gold. Pink diamond rings can be 10 to 100 times the price of white diamond rings though jewellery made with other coloured diamonds are generally less expensive than white diamonds.

Buying Pearls

Tuesday, April 14th, 2009

Pearls are formed in oysters and mussels. They could be cultured, but most are formed naturally. They can be found in both fresh and natural waters.

In order to choose the best quality pearls, cultured or natural, you must carefully consider the nacre thickness, texture, size, color, luster, and shape.

Luster

To check their luster, you must observe pearls in different lights. Luster is the pearl’s intense brightness. Pearls, especially freshwater pearls, can shine in some types of lights or are faint in other types. The pearl luster is best checked using fluorescent lamp. You would know the highest quality pearls because they glow regardless of what type of light you use to examine it with. The more intense the gleam of the pearls is, the higher the worth. These pearls have a fine warm radiance, while low quality pearls look dull.

Color

In choosing your pearls, check their color. They come in different colors, white, golden, and cream. You must choose the color which best suits you or the person you’re giving it to. You must also check the skin or texture of the pearls as well. Make sure the pearls are perfectly round and smooth. Check if there are blemishes, wrinkles, large pits or flaws. An important factor in determining the quality of the pearls is their nacre thickness. This also determines the length of time your pearls would last. Thick nacre pearls are high quality pearls.

There are four kinds of pearls: Akoya, Tahitian, south sea pearls. These are all cultured pearls. The most popular of these is the Akoya pearls.

Pearls can be bought from jewelry stores or online shops or auctions. Remember to buy your pearls from high-quality stores because they grade their pearls carefully. You can be assured that the pearls are genuine and you can avail of their refund policy if you find anything to your dissatisfaction.